Date: 5/25/19 4:41 pm
From: Greg Tillman <gregtillman...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Epping, moderate birding, 80 species
I realized it’s been more than 10 years since I’ve done a big day in Epping. I didn’t actually do a big day today either, but i did want to get out and put in some time birding some of the new conservation areas in town, along with some old favorites. My best human-powered all-day effort was 91 species. Today I managed to bird from 7 to 11am, and 4 to 6pm, and used the car, and I’m pretty happy with 80 species.

Technically it was 79, but I’m not driving 6 miles just to see rock pigeons on the 101 bridge! (Oh, just heard a woodcock, back up to an official 80.)

Beautiful day to be out, but nothing super exciting. Flyover green heron at Two Rivers Conservation Area, which is not a gimme bird in town. Alder and Least Flycatcher around the Burley Farm Conservation Area, and a Carolina Wren feeding young. And Nashville and Canada warblers and a nice Blue-headed Vireo at Mast Road Conservation Area. Seventeen species of warblers; none of the Budworm Three, alas; and no Blackburnian or Wilson’s. But Maggies and Parula are still pretty easy to find.

I could have added Sapsucker over at Kenard Hill, but I didn’t make it that far. Other easy misses include House Wren, Mockingbird, Hairy Woodpecker, and Pileated, and Barred Owl (no owling). Also, no cormorants or Hoodies on any of the ponds I checked. So really, 90 species is pretty doable with a little more effort. Maybe next year I’ll plan it out and shoot for 100!

Couple of birds I would really like to get in Epping are Orchard Oriole, Northern Waterthrush, or Screech Owl, if anyone knows any good spots for those, please let me know!

Happy birding!