Date: 5/25/19 6:40 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (19 May 2019) 6 Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: May 19, 2019

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 4 5 5
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 2 2 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 6 7 7

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 19:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
THE DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD
WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (20): Kathleen Pileggi, Mike Fowles, Carl Mease, Lana Glass,
Colleen Del Monte, Kris Benarcik, Daniel Noznisky, Carol & Ron Majors, John
& Beth Bradley, Ted & Ann Wilson, Laureen Rick-Benson, Ellie Ezekiel [plus
2 - DNS program], Jim Green, George Stewart
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Cloudy - Cloudy (10-70% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 16,000-19,300 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 61 - 84 F, Winds S @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Bald Eagle,
1-Cooper's Hawk, 2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, 1-American
Kestrel, and numerous Black (36) and Turkey Vultures (50).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-2
<BR><BR>
----Mississippi Kite ages: Sub adult-1; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’
<BR><BR>
I led our weekly walk at Bucktoe first, looking for late migrants. 15
people walked the trails here finding Spotted Sandpiper, Osprey, Cooper’s
Hawk, American Kestrel, Yellow-throated Vireo, Rough-winged Swallow, Veery,
Brown Thrasher, Yellow-breasted Chat, Blue Grosbeak, Scarlet Tanager, and a
few late warbler migrants, Tennessee Warbler, American Redstarts, Magnolia
Warblers, Blackpoll Warblers, Black-throated Green Warblers, Canada
Warblers, and Wilson’s Warbler. We identified 74 species on this superb
walk.
<BR><BR>
I began the day’s Kite Watch early with good results. A stunning male
Rose-breasted Grosbeak made an appearance at our meadow feeders – a first.
Counting Cardinal, that snag had held 3 Grosbeaks within a few minutes,
with a Blue Grosbeak selecting it to launch its beautiful song. Kathleen
arrived, and much to her chagrin missed the Grosbeak by mere seconds. He
set her chair facing the feeders and hoped for a return.
<BR><BR>
I have always said that we get Mississippi Kites before 5pm. Thankfully, I
was wrong again. Despite concentrating on the feeders and the Grosbeak’s
return, Kathleen said, “Look above us!” There it was, the season’s first
MISSISIPPI KITE, directly overhead and close for us to enjoy! [FOY] It
was 6:20pm and an adult bird. A second bird, a sub-adult [again found by
Kathleen], came and lingered for a while over Red Clay Creek at 7:26pm.
<BR><BR>
Still Kathleen waited and watched. Then, the Rose-breasted Grosbeak
returned. She was satisfied, at last – she had earned it! She had found
TWO MISSISSIPPI KITES and Nighthawks tonight, but THIS made her happiest!
Who can figure birders!?!?
<BR><BR>
---- Thanks to Delaware Nature Society for their sponsorship, and
especially, to the Brokaws, for not only their incredible support, but
gracious generosity in opening their property to the public for this watch,
and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Double-crested Cormorant, Belted Kingfisher, Barred Owl, Common Nighthawk,
Willow Flycatcher, Veery, Blue Grosbeak, Yellow-breasted Chat, Blackpoll
Warbler, and Rose-breasted Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (8): Monarch, Cabbage White, Eastern
Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Red Admiral, Question Mark, Orange
Sulphur, Least Skipper. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags.
Reptiles & Amphibians (2): Green Frog, American Toad. Mammals (4):
Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed Deer, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
----EBNT’s “Walk with Nature” ™ Program Daily Tally with our Fitbits: This
is a stationary watch, but if I stay stationary too long, I might tend to
“bulk up.” Besides, I am ever so fortunate to be walking unaided, at all!
Therefore, I keep moving (if you’ve been here, then you know that I pace
endlessly….) - my Fitbit thanks me and its part of my “Walk with Nature”
program. So, below are MY results at the watch for the day. Your totals
could all be zero, if you choose to sit and relax. You are certainly
welcome to take it easy….I simply choose not to, affording me a panoramic
view of our entire sky and a bit of exercise. So come join our “Walk with
Nature!” ™ Anyway, just for fun, here are my numbers at the site for today
(join me, if you wish): Miles: 9.75; Steps: 22,900; Floors: 30.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 67
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 9pm. Rain
or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by THE
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...>
with questions or comments.

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek