Date: 5/24/19 12:26 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Shorts: Cascades Gateway Park Bird Walk Report
*SAS SHORTS: CASCADES GATEWAY PARK BIRD WALK SUMMARY*

*May 24, 2019*

Hello Birders:

This morning, Fred led our SAS Shorts bird walk to Cascades Gateway Park.
It was a cool, windy (7 – 8 m.p.h.) morning but the rain held off until
after the walk. Five (5) birders joined Fred for the walk. It was 52 - 53
degrees during the walk. We walked around Walter Wirth Lake which was
about a one-mile walk. We observed (saw or heard) 34 species of birds.

Most notable sightings:

· One male *Bullock’s Oriole* was on the south end and east side of the
lake;

· Four *Osprey* were flying over the lake and park at various times during
the walk;

· We saw one *Western Wood-Pewee* in a tree on the east side of the lake
that wasn’t very active;

· There were two *Bald Eagles* seen during the walk. A subadult Bald
Eagle was in a tree on the south end of the lake and an adult Bald Eagle
flew over the lake;

· Other observations included 75 *Cedar Waxwings* in a tree near the start
of the walk, one *Vaux’s Swift* flying high above the lake, two *Northern
Rough-winged Swallows *chasing a feather with each other and two *Wilson’s
Warblers* were heard near the northeast part of the trail;

· The most surprising observation was how few waterfowl were on the lake.
There were only about 15 Mallards and two geese on the entire lake.

A complete list of today's birds follows. *Our next SAS field trip will be
at Ankeny NWR on Sunday, May 26th at 7:00 a.m. *Meet at the Pintail Marsh
parking lot off Wintel Road. The next *SAS Shorts* field trip is at Keizer
Rapids Park on *Tuesday, June 25th at 9:00 a.m.* Meet in the far parking
lot near the boat ramp. Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Checklist Summary for May 24, 2019 *
60 Canada Goose