Date: 5/24/19 9:40 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (18 May 2019) Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: May 18, 2019

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 1 1
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 1 1

Observation start time: 12:00:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
THE DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD
WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4):Steve Cottrell, Jim Balint, Kathleen Pileggi
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny - Mostly Cloudy (20-70% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 19,700 -
14,700 ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 75 - 67 F, Winds L & V.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Red-tailed Hawk, and
numerous Black (21) and Turkey Vultures (26).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’
<BR><BR>
On the way to Bucktoe, I made a stop at New Garden Township WTP, finding a
late Ring-necked Duck and Spotted Sandpipers. As promised, Steve was out
to check on Bucktoe’s Purple Martin colony, finding 11 nests, but no eggs -
yet. He and I are thrilled with the results of this program; only in its
second year!
<BR><BR>
Meanwhile, I had Brown Thrasher, then two, at the feeders. I noticed a
Yellow-breasted Chat singing from the distant thicket [my FOY]. But
overall, it was a very slow day.
<BR><BR>
---- Thanks to Delaware Nature Society for their sponsorship, and
especially, to the Brokaws, for not only their incredible support, but
gracious generosity in opening their property to the public for this watch,
and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Great Egret, Common Nighthawk, Willow Flycatcher, Blue Grosbeak, and
Yellow-breasted Chat.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Eastern Tiger Swallowtail,
Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur. Dragonflies (0) Reptiles & Amphibians (0)
Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
----EBNT’s “Walk with Nature” ™ Program Daily Tally with our Fitbits: This
is a stationary watch, but if I stay stationary too long, I might tend to
“bulk up.” Besides, I am ever so fortunate to be walking unaided, at all!
Therefore, I keep moving (if you’ve been here, then you know that I pace
endlessly….) - my Fitbit thanks me and its part of my “Walk with Nature”
program. So, below are MY results at the watch for the day. Your totals
could all be zero, if you choose to sit and relax. You are certainly
welcome to take it easy….I simply choose not to, affording me a panoramic
view of our entire sky and a bit of exercise. So come join our “Walk with
Nature!” ™ Anyway, just for fun, here are my numbers at the site for today
(join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.45; Steps: 15,150; Floors: 10.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 54
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 9pm. Rain
or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by THE
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...>
with questions or comments.

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Join us on Facebook!