Date: 5/23/19 9:46 am
From: 'Andrea' via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Cerulean Warbler - NO
We tried for an hour this morning, starting at 5:30 am,
at the location of possible Cerulean Warbler (see discussion on Bird Watchers of New Hampshire Facebook, May 16)

This was by the Athletic Fields and Village at Meads Fields on Rt 4 in Northwood.

No luck with Cerulean. We heard no Black-throated Blue
or Cerulean potentials.

If the gal who birds there, and has posted sightings to FB
gets further proof (a photo or recording) we can easily go back
because we live only 10 minutes away.

We did have a Black-billed Cuckoo as consolation.

Regarding the studies of Black-throated Blue Warblers singing a
three part song similar to Cerulean song....

we looked at sonograms of the two songs and noticed the following:

It appears that the BTBlue version has a two note introductory phase.

In contrast, Cerulean has three to five note introductory phase.

This is not scientifically proven (but interesting to investigate.)

Today (in Milford on Federal Hill Trails) a BT Blue was singing the three part song, and had, yes, the two note introductory phrase.

Andrea and George Robbins
Pittsfield, NH

Sent from my iPad