Date: 5/23/19 7:51 am
From: Mitchell Pruitt <0000000b4ac30a99-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Birding Around Fayetteville--Olive-sided FC, White-winged Dove, and Cedar Waxwings
There have been some interesting goings-on in the bird life around Fayetteville this week. Tuesday, after the day’s downpour, I ventured out to Kessler Mountain Regional Park, in south Fayetteville. Breeding season life has really gotten going and the genus Passerina was well-represented with many Blue Grosbeaks and Indigo Buntings, and a single female Painted Bunting. Other notables were Orchard Orioles that appear to have set up shop to breed along the paved trail as it travels northeast-ish from the first parking lot. Additionally, a WHITE-WINGED DOVE was heard calling from a group of trees near the first parking lot, but was not located.

Yesterday, I spent most of the morning on the north side of Lake Fayetteville, between the boat launch and the Environmental Center. A few migrants were still in the area, including a Spotted Sandpiper, Tennessee Warbler, and an influx of female American Redstarts. Most notable was an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER hawking insects from two different snags on the far south end of Callie’s Prairie. The only way to get to this part of the restored prairie is either by bushwhacking through the woods or trudging through the grassland; I did the former. Perhaps almost as interesting as the flycatcher was the number of Cedar Waxwings still in the area. My count of >130 is conservative. Several large flocks were seen flying in a northerly direction, while nearly every flowering sycamore edging the lake had at least 15-20 birds in it. Notable (apparent) breeding residents were 3 Kentucky Warblers seemingly on territories in the moist woods between the Environmental Center and Callie’s Prairie.

Everyone, myself included, is happy to have a reprieve from the rain!

Mitchell Pruitt

Join us on Facebook!