Date: 5/22/19 7:27 pm
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [obol] ECAS Wednesday, woodpeckers etc - Calliope Crossing, Cold Springs CG, 1018 Rd, Milli burn
Any Wednesday with out of state birders is more fun because we get to be
with them when they see lifers. Lots of celebrating today. Despite the
rain, spirits were good and birding kept happening. Ten woodpecker
species and 6 Warbler species adds to a good day here.

The leucistic Red-breasted Sapsucker at Calliope Crossing gave lots of
viewing time. Warbler show was good low in the willows along the creek.
A female Black-backed was a welcome sight, seen by all as she fed low in
the burned trees. At Cold Springs, we spent ages to finally have some
see the MacGillivray's that sang constantly. Williamson's are still
setting up shop it appears, as both were out of the cavity at the same
time. Along 1018 we enjoyed Lewis's on snags and singing Olive-sided Fly
offering beer. Empid around the CG was not cooperative. Empids were not
calling today. Along the rd 1026 toward Scott's Pass trailhead, we had
fun with a male Black-backed WP up close, Pileated active nearby and
seen by most, Cassin's Finches etc. We finished the day with Canada Jays
along the Millican Crater rd and White-headed WP and Ash-throated Fly
along Camp Polk. Thanks to all for great listening for birds and finding
them. Surprising misses for late May, Laz Buntings, Western Wood
Peewee, etc, but hey, it rained most of the day so they could be around
but in cover and quiet.

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net
Sooty Grouse - heard by some, near "big rock"
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Falcon species ( Prairie or Peregrine) - seen from along 242 in Milli
Wilson's Snipe - heard, at Calliope Crossing
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Vaux's Swift - overhead along 1018
Calliope Hummingbird - some posing far away, Calliope Crossing natch
Lewis' Woodpecker
Williamson's Sapsucker
Red-naped Sapsucker - Calliope Crossing
Red-breasted Sapsucker - Calliope Crossing and Milli area
Downy Woodpecker - Calliope Crossing
Hairy Woodpecker - Calliope Crossing and Scott's Pass rd
White-headed Woodpecker - Camp Polk
Black-backed Woodpecker - Calliope Crossing and Scott's Pass rd 1026
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker - near "big rock"
Olive-sided Flycatcher - along 1018 not far from CG
Gray Flycatcher - Calliope Crossing
Unidentified Empidonax - Some thought Pac Slope. Not vocal, distant.
Whisp Pines CG
Ash-throated Flycatcher - Pair, along Camp Polk Rd
Canada Jay - 2 or more, rd into Millican Crater
Steller's Jay
Western Scrub-Jay
Black-billed Magpie
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Mountain Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch - Cold Springs
Pygmy Nuthatch
Brown Creeper - Cold Springs
House Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Mountain Bluebird
Townsend's Solitaire - 1026, calling
Hermit Thrush - Milli off 242 in live forest
American Robin
European Starling
Orange-crowned Warbler - Calliope
Yellow Warbler - Calliope
Yellow-rumped Warbler - Whispering Pines
MacGillivray's Warbler - Cold Springs
Common Yellowthroat - Calliope
Wilson's Warbler - Calliope and Cold Springs
Western Tanager - Calliope
Spotted Towhee - Cold Springs
Chipping Sparrow - 1026, mostly on ground
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow - Calliope
Dark-eyed Junco
Black-headed Grosbeak - dominant singing Calliope and Cold Springs
Red-winged Blackbird
Brewer's Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird - along 1018
Cassin's Finch - several females, along 1026
Total number of species seen: 59
Birders today: from Maryland, Debra Mccoy and Hank Ruppbrecht, from
Delaware, Mike Weinstein, and locals, Barb Rumer, Dave Rein, Jean Tuomi,
Joel Tinsley, Aaron Jenkins, Nancy Boever, Sherrie Pierce, Scott Ahlf,
Howard Horvath and Judy Meredith. Next week, once again birding in the
woodpecker zones, so probably plan on all day again! Good birding,
POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!