Date: 5/22/19 1:23 pm
From: Dennis Arendt <dennisarendt...>
Subject: [obol] Eugene Wednesday birders
The Eugene Wednesday birders went to the section of Alton Baker Park near
the radio towers. We walked through the central trail toward the I-5
bridge to the Knickerbocker Bridge and back along the canal. Several
Lazuli Buntings and three Western Kingbirds were the birding highlights.
Three Red-breasted Sapsuckers were busy near the parking area; one was
pounding on the back of a metal sign. Three foxes were seen in their usual
location. Our complete follows.

Canada Goose – several with goslings

Wood Duck – one flying over the channel.

Mallard

Common Merganser – three on the pond

Rock Pigeon

Eurasian Collared-Dove

Mourning Dove

Vaux's Swift – several groups of three flying over.

Anna's Hummingbird – six or seven adult males

Killdeer

Spotted Sandpiper – one seen from the bridge

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Osprey

Bald Eagle – one adult being harassed by a crow

Red-tailed Hawk

Red-breasted Sapsucker - three

Downy Woodpecker

American Kestrel

Western Kingbird – three in the grassy fields, perching on tall twigs

California Scrub-Jay

American Crow

Tree Swallow – a few

Violet-green Swallow – numerous over the grassy areas

Cliff Swallow – numerous near the bridges

Black-capped Chickadee

Bushtit – only one

Bewick's Wren

Swainson's Thrush – one heard singing

American Robin

European Starling

Cedar Waxwing – scattered in small groups

Evening Grosbeak – a few flying and perching in tops of trees

House Finch

Lesser Goldfinch – groups in the grassy field

American Goldfinch

Song Sparrow – numerous and singing

Spotted Towhee - several

Bullock's Oriole – one heard

Red-winged Blackbird

Brown-headed Cowbird

Brewer's Blackbird

Common Yellowthroat – four

Black-headed Grosbeak – four or five heard and seen

Lazuli Bunting – perhaps ten, three females and seven males

House Sparrow - one female

Sylvia Maulding, Rachael Friese, Nancy Clogston, Kit Larsen, Tom Cable,
Randy Sinnott, Scott McNeeley, Steve Dignam, Jim Mitchell and Dennis Arendt

Join us on Facebook!