Date: 5/22/19 11:34 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla seawatch: 1800 storm-petrels, and miscellanea
It can be said that we all said that we'd never seen anything like it
from shore. Early on Weds morning at La Jolla, an assemblage of Black
Storm-Petrels feeding VERY, VERY close to shore in a concentrated mass
on what must have been a temperature-break or current-break for the
entire time we were there, and a scene which looked like the very large
assemblages of tight-flying storm-petrels one sees the first second one
flushes a large roosting flock off the water when on a fall pelagic trip
well offshore. Anyway, our best one-scan total was 1800+ birds. Also
seen during the morning were 4 Brown Boobies, a good total of 5000 Sooty
Shearwaters, 2 Black-vented Shearwaters, 2 alternate-plumaged Red
Phalaropes, and 7 Pacific and 2 Common Loons--of which the Pacifics were
in their expected basic plumage on this late date, but one of the
north-bound Common Loons was, surprisingly for the date, in full
alternate plumage. Otherwise, ca. 18 Red-necked Phalaropes, a Surf
Scoter, and a dozen one-year-old Heermann's Gulls (which is actually a
"large" count recently).

--P. Lehman, D. Povey, J. Desgrosellier, P. Ginsburg, San Diego

View/Reply Online (#9611): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9611
-=-=-
---
Please join us at the monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month in the Hoffman Room of The San Diego Foundation, 2508 Historic Decatur Rd., San Diego, CA 92106. Guests welcome, but membership encouraged for only $25 a year.
---
-=-=-

Join us on Facebook!