Date: 5/22/19 11:18 am
From: Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins <hopmoon...>
Subject: [wisb] Short-billed Dowitcher/Atlantic subspecies in Milwaukee County
Yesterday I found a lone Dowitcher feeding in a flooded agricultural
field along South Pennsylvania Avenue in Oak Creek. The plumage seemed
odd, as it was not the expected rich rufous or orange underparts of an
adult.  Instead it was buffy from the face down to the upper breast, and
white from the mid-breast down through the belly.  After discussion with
Mike Wanger and further consulting my bird books when I got home, I
confirmed it was an adult Short-billed Dowitcher of the griseus
subspecies, which normally is found along the Atlantic coast during
migration. Jeremy Meyer and Lorri Howski saw the bird later in the day
and took good documentary shots.  My eBird report, with one of Jeremy's
photos, is here: https://ebird.org/wi/view/checklist/S56596749

Jym Mooney, Milwaukee