Date: 5/22/19 3:02 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Quick look in firehouse woods - 5/21/19
    Only time for a quick look in the firehouse woods, but some interesting birds, a few FOY for me.Bob Spahn, <rspahn...>
Firehouse Woods, Monroe, New York, US
May 21, 2019 10:30 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.2 mile(s)
Comments:    Just had a short time and had bumped into Dominic Sherony at Island Cottage Woods and heard of some interesting birds at the firehouse woods area. Just walking to cross the road from parking back of the church, I heard a song and for once was really sure Philadelphia Vireo and found the singer in the thin leaves high up. (It is a song that I have some trouble with certainty of at times.) Into the woods trails, I walked straight back to the flooded edge and then spished quietly and had many of the warblers I had heard about come right in for a close look. One of the first was a bonus, a female Cerulean and right down low.
43 species

Canada Goose  4
Turkey Vulture  1
Bald Eagle  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Philadelphia Vireo  1
Warbling Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  2
Blue Jay  6
Tree Swallow  2
Black-capped Chickadee  1
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
House Wren  3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
Wood Thrush  2
American Robin  8
Gray Catbird  4
European Starling  2
House Finch  3
American Goldfinch  5
Chipping Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  2
Swamp Sparrow  1
Baltimore Oriole  4
Red-winged Blackbird  4
Brown-headed Cowbird  1
Common Grackle  6
Northern Waterthrush  2
Common Yellowthroat  3
American Redstart  4
Cerulean Warbler  1    This is actually not really a rare bird for the area or this location or date, just not often reported. This was a female at very close range. Small size, pale blue on top on the head, pale yellow wash to sides of the white under parts, prominent wing bars, short tail and white tail spots from below, etc. made ID easy.
Magnolia Warbler  1
Yellow Warbler  8
Blackpoll Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  7