Date: 5/21/19 1:04 pm
From: Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...>
Subject: ASCA June, July, August Field Trips
Mark your calendars!  Below are details about the next three months of field trips sponsored by the Audubon Society of Central Arkansas.  Everyone is welcome to join us for any or all trips.  It's great way to explore different parts of the state with a fun group of happy birders enjoying the outdoors.  You don't have to be an ASCA member.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me off-list.  You can go to our ASCA website at ascabird.org for more information about the organization and read issues of our quarterly newsletter the Snipe.Karen HollidayASCA Field Trip CoordinatorLittle Rock, Pulaski County

June 1

Gillam Park and the Little Rock Audubon Center (LRAC)

Little Rock, Pulaski Co.

Due to weather, the May Birdathonactivities were postponed to June 1st and only 7 people showedup for the May field trip, so we’ll redo the trip as one of the BirdLR Birdathonteams, a fun, friendly competition to raise money for bird conservation inArkansas, sponsored by Audubon Arkansas.  The ASCA team’s fundraising is to collectdonations based on per species seen or a straight contribution.  You can donate to the ASCA team by going to ar.audubon.organd click on the donate button.  Click onBirdathon for more information about the planned Bird Bash activities for June1st.  It will be a great dayto be outside enjoying nature!

 Meet at 7:00 a.m. in GillamPark at the second parking lot.  Gillamhas great habitat for summering warblers and other species.  There will be moderate walking on fairlylevel, but possibly muddy trails.  Whenfinished at Gillam, we’ll drive to the LRAC and walk the wildlife observationtrail.  Last, we’ll head to IndustrialHarbor Road and Terry Lock & Dam to look for nesting Western Kingbirds andPainted Buntings.  Bring water andsnacks, the trip can last into the early afternoon.  Wear sturdy walking shoes or hikingboots.

 Directions—GillamPark is in southeast Little Rock near the airport.  Address is 5300 Gillam Park Road, LittleRock.  Take I-30 West heading south fromLittle Rock.  Then exit onto I-440 goingtowards the airport.  Take Exit1-Springer Road.  At the bottom of theexit ramp, turn left onto Springer Road. Go approximately 1 mile to just past the LRAC.  Turn right onto Gillam Park Road.  Follow it into the park to the last parkinglot.

 July 6

Dr. Lester SitzesIII Bois D’Arc WMA

Hope, HempsteadCounty

Meetat 7:00 a.m. at the south end of the commuter parking lot at the I-630/I-430intersection at Shackleford Road in Little Rock.  We’ll stop at the McDonalds in Hope (Exit 30off I-30) around 8:45 a.m. for those in south Arkansas who would like to joinus.  Look for Great-tailed Grackles atMcDonalds.  We should arrive at the BoisD’Arc WMA at 9:15 a.m.  Our target birdswill be Purple and Common Gallinules and their chicks, Least Bitterns, Anhingas,Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, herons, egrets, and possibly an alligator ortwo!  Very little walking will beinvolved.  Bring scopes, plenty of water,snacks, and lunch.  There are severalrestaurants in Hope if you prefer to eat lunch in town.

 Bois D‘ArcWMA is located 10 miles south of Hope. Take Exit 30 off I-30 and go east. Continue past McDonald’s, then under the railroad overpass.  At the light at the big intersection, turnright onto Hwy. 67.  Go 1/3 of amile.  At the brown sign, turn left ontoHwy. 174.  Take Hwy. 174 south 6 miles tothe 3-way stop sign at Spring Hill.  Turnright onto Hwy. 355.  Go west for 4miles.  Turn right at the white woodenWMA sign just before the highway ends in the lake.  Follow the paved road, then turn left onto thefirst gravel road and go down to the lake. GPS: 33.558062, -93.694239

 August 24

Bald Knob NationalWildlife Refuge

Bald Knob, WhiteCounty

Meet at 7:00 a.m. in North Little Rock in the Other Center parking lot onthe east side behind McDonald’s.  TheOther Center is on McCain Blvd. across from McCain Mall.  Take Exit 1 west off US-67/167.  We’ll arrive at Bald Knob NWR around 8:30a.m. for those who want to meet us there. Look for the line of cars parked on Coal Chute Road.  This federal refuge is also a NationalAudubon Important Bird Area.  We expectto find shorebirds, herons, night-herons, egrets, and possibly Wood Storks andRoseate Spoonbills.  It will be very hotso bring plenty of water, snacks, sunscreen, and a hat.  If you have a scope, bring it.  Very little walking will be involved.  There is no bathroom on-site.  There is a McDonald’s just off Hwy. 67/167 atBald Knob Exit 55.  Go to www.fws.gov/baldknob/ for drivingdirections and more information about the refuge.  GPS: 35.260233, -91.571903

Join us on Facebook!