Date: 5/21/19 12:32 pm
From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10...>
Subject: [wisb] Results of this year's Chequamegon Bay Birding & Nature Festival
The 13th annual Chequamegon Bay Birding & Nature Festival was held in Ashland this past weekend, convening nearly 400 participants from around the state and country to enjoy 120 trips and programs on birds, butterflies, wildflowers, and other joys of nature. While our preliminary tally stands at 175 bird species seen, this year's event will be remembered for its rarities.

The HOODED ORIOLE found south of Ashland will become the 3rd state record of this southern species that typically ranges no farther north than south Texas, although unfortunately it did not linger for most to see it. An "AUDUBON'S" YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER photographed at Wren Falls was one of few well documented in the state and only our second local record of this western subspecies. A local birder photographed an ORCHARD ORIOLE, furnishing only our 3rd area record and first for the festival period. A SUMMER TANAGER was photographed at the Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center, a first for our event venue. Field trip groups spotted N. MOCKINGBIRD, BOREAL CHICKADEE, and BLUE-WINGED WARBLER, the latter for only the second time at the festival. Willets, Rough-legged Hawk, and Yellow-headed Blackbird were among some of the other goodies found.

A big thanks to all who participated, and especially to our 80 trip & program leaders who contribute their time in making this event so fun and educational. We hope some of you can join us next year!  https://www.birdandnaturefest.com/

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
On behalf of our 2019 CBBNF Planning Team