Date: 5/21/19 10:41 am
From: Wayne Weber <contopus...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Varied Thrushes breeding in Anacortes
Kristi and Tweeters,

Varied Thrushes in the breeding season are not unusual near sea level-- where there is remaining old-growth forest. However, there is precious little old-growth forest left at or near sea level in western WA, with the result that Varied Thrushes are definitely a rare breeder at low altitudes.

However, Varied Thrushes are definitely much more abundant at higher altitudes (above 2500 feet or so). Here in southwestern BC, I would say that they are 10 times as common in the mountains than they are in sea-level old-growth (such as Lighthouse Park in West Vancouver, where they have also nested).

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

<contopus...>