Date: 5/20/19 12:52 pm
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Bird Baseball, a scouting report from the minor leagues

Doug James used to call this Bird Baseball – keeping various kinds of stats about birds seen in the yard, in the state, this year, over a lifetime, etc. I play a kind of Bird Baseball during spring involving “How many warblers species have I seen?” I consider 20 moderately respectable, sort of like hitting .200 in real baseball. So far this season, including today’s Mourning Warbler, I have 27, all from Northwest Arkansas City. If like me you are retired and have more time than average, 20 should be a cake walk. I could be closing in on 30 – something like batting .300 -- IF I could also include species that others have seen or heard on a field trip where I couldn’t/didn’t see them because I can no longer hear them. Blackburnian and Bay-breasted come to mind in that regard -- we had them for the trip, but I didn't see or hear them. Or the field trip I didn’t go on – Cape May. And I should already have Blue-winged, but don’t. So far my list for this spring includes Tennessee, Orange-crowned, Nashville, Northern Parula, Yellow, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Green, Yellow-throated, Pine, Prairie, Palm, Blackpoll, Cerulean, Black-and-white, American Redstart, Prothonotary, Worm-eating, Ovenbird, Northern Waterthrush, Louisiana Waterthrush, Kentucky, Mourning, Common Yellowthroat, Hooded, Wilson's. For the spring season of Bird Baseball, I I’m batting .270. That's respectable in the minor leagues where I play. Hopefully, enough to keep me in the league for next season.

Join us on Facebook!