Date: 5/20/19 12:45 pm
From: Tom Sykes <sykes...>
Subject: [wisb] Heckrodt Wetland Reserve (Winnebago County)
With an opportunity to get outside (having been cooped up with two days of rain and cold), we ventured over to Heckrodt Wetland Reserve in Menasha. Heckrodt has its charm but honestly, for the past several years, the birding in spring has not been memorable. Until today. Imagine our surprise to discover 18 species of warblers! And in some cases repeated and close looks at Blackburnian, Canada, and Bay-breasted. Magnolia numbers were through the roof (counted at least 24 and there were probably more we missed).

Not like what we’ve seen at Bay Beach or High Cliff but for Heckrodt, remarkable:
Ovenbird (2)
Golden-winged Warbler (2)
Black-and-white Warbler (3)
Tennessee Warbler (1)
Orange-crowned Warbler (1)
Nashville Warbler (3)
American Redstart (7)
Northern Parula (2)
Magnolia Warbler (25 - probably more)
Bay-breasted Warbler (4)
Blackburnian Warbler (5)
Yellow Warbler (2)
Chestnut-sided Warbler (4)
Palm Warbler (2) surprising low number
Yellow-rumped Warbler (5)
Black-throated Green Warbler (4)
Canada Warbler (1)
Wilson's Warbler (1)

Also four vireo species: Yellow-throated (1), Blue-headed (4), Warbling (2) and Red-eyed (5).
Thrush numbers were also through the roof: Swainson's (at least two dozen). Gray-cheeked, Veery and a knock-dead gorgeous Wood Thrush.

58 species in a few hours of birding. Plus, the Barred Owl nest cavity showed some activity with two young owls rustling about inside, peeking out from time to time.

Rule of thumb: If there are warblers at Heckrodt, they must be EVERYWHERE else!

Tom and Carol Sykes
<sykes...>
(currently visiting from Arizona)