Date: 5/19/19 4:23 pm
From: <tc...>
Subject: [obol] Re: CA Thrasher
On Fri, 17 May 2019 20:59:48 -0400, "Wayne Hoffman" <whoffman...>
wrote:
> Hi -
> i wonder if anyone has seen or heard a Catbird around there?

I have a new theory on the CA Thrasher "catbird impersonation" -- the
"mew" call note of the Green-tailed Towhee. I just heard a few of those
near Sisters and it wasn't too far off what I heard from the Thrasher.
Since they breed in the locale, it would seem to be a more logical choice.

Tom

> Wayne
>
> On 5/17/2019 8:41:36 PM, Tom Crabtree wrote:
>
> After a day of meetings in Salem, I zipped down to Talent to see if the
> California Thrasher was still around. I drove up and down Holton for 15
> minutes in a steady rain and did not see it. When it finally subsided I
> got out of the car and within a minute the bird hopped on top of a tree
> next to 855 and started singing. It kept this up for about 20 minutes.
> During that time it imitated American Robin, Flicker, Steller’s Jay,
> Catbird, Ash-throated Flycatcher/Cassin’s Kingbird, California Quail
> among others. It has an amazing repertoire. It spent most of its time in
> a spruce tree, but afterwards went on the ground and cavorted with a
> California Towhee and then with a couple of California Scrub Jays (boy
> those Californians like to stick together!). It ended up singing from
> atop a deciduous tree at 958 Holton. They had a couple of noisy dogs so
> figured that was a good time to leave. One neighbor stopped while
driving
> up the hill when I was photographing the bird and asked, “is that the
> California Thrasher?” so the word is getting out.
>
> Tom Crabtree, Bend
POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!