Date: 5/19/19 6:00 am
From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Shorebirds
Roy,

We see this mallard behavior fairly regularly at Coos Bay North Spit in
particular.   We are fairly certain they are feeding on the mole
crabs.   I have had discussions about this with some researcher in
California (I believe).   It's a "thing" with mallards, apparently.......

cheers
Dave Lauten

On 5/18/2019 2:31 PM, Roy Lowe wrote:
> I walked 1.5 miles of beach south of Alsea Bay this morning and 0,5
> miles north of Alsea Bay.  The only shorebirds I observed were 22
> whimbrel feeding along the surf, 1 sanderling with a badly injured leg
> up high on the beach, and 5 snowy plovers.  Two flocks of western
> Canada geese were observed headed north on their annual molting flight
> but the most curious observation was a male mallard acting as if it
> were a surf scoter feeding in the shallow surf (photos attached).
>
> Roy

Join us on Facebook!