Date: 5/16/19 9:51 am
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Re: major passerine flights / notably high migrant counts
Responding to Mary Garrard's question, here's one way (not very elegant) to keep tabs on notably high counts on eBird that might reflect major movements.

If you paste this link into your browser:
[ https://ebird.org/region/US-OR?yr=cur&changeDate=Set | https://ebird.org/region/US-OR?yr=cur&changeDate=Set ]
it will bring up a list of high counts recorded so far this year, sorted by date (with the most recent high counts at the top).

As of this moment, Diana Byrne's count of 30 Black Terns in Harney County comes up at the top of the list, followed by a few recent twitches of single rarities (Hooded Warbler etc.). Doug Robinson's remarkable estimates of warbler numbers from April 25th show up on this list, though at this point they're buried under more recent highest-of-year counts for other species (including a report of 7 Great White Pelicans!!!).

I suppose one could check this list daily for recent high counts, though you might have to winnow through a lot of chaff before picking up on any extraordinary movements. That seems like a chore to me. Perhaps someone else knows of a more efficient way to keep tabs.

Happy migration,
Joel

--
Joel Geier