Date: 5/16/19 8:53 am
From: Jerry Tangren <kloshewoods...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Western Flycatcher
If you consider the definition of a species to be a population upon which natural selection operates, then you would expect taxonomy to be dynamic as advances are made in our ability to study at the level of the gene. In other words, hang on to your hat.

It’s also true human taxonomy will change just as rapidly. Although there are many interpretations, recent studies indicate Neanderthals are the same species as modern humans, who carry a considerable donation of genes from their more ancient cousins.

—Jerry Tangren