Date: 5/15/19 5:52 pm
From: Linda Rudolph <lgrudolph...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Black-billed Cuckoo, 15 warblers and Red-breasted Nuthatches- Jones County
Bill Scheible and I visited Central Park and Muskrat Slough in Jones County this morning.

We had never been to Central Park before and we both thought it was a little hidden jewel. There were two stands of well maintained Purple Martin gourds that had nesting martins. With lots of Pine trees we found 5 Red-breasted Nuthatches. The naturalist told us that they normally have a few Red-breasted Nuthatches all Summer and this leads us to believe they might nest in this park. We had 4 Common Nighthawks circling overhead while we were craning our necks looking for warblers. Even with this distraction we managed to see 15 species of warblers, including a male Blackpoll and a Canada Warbler.

We birded the road along the north side of Muskrat Slough. This was quite a busy place even though it was closer to noon. We found a resting Common Nighthawk, another Canada Warbler, a lone Green-winged Teal, heard a Sandhill Crane, and best of all Bill spotted a Cuckoo flying across the road. He perched up briefly, just long enough for me to see a completely black bill and no rufous on its wings before it ducked back into the brush.

Linda Rudolph
Coralville