Date: 5/15/19 11:53 am
From: John Dillon <kisforkryptonite...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] LOS - ABA Young Birder Camp Sponsorship Info and Fundraising
All,

One aspect of getting youth involved is that once you begin to do it, your reputation for it can attract recruits. Most of you know about the Nature Club I started 12 years ago at Minden High School, and many of you support the club. Now that word has started to get around a bit more about it, I’ve had a few opportunities to teach some birding basics to kids who don’t even go to school here. This Saturday for example, I’m supposed to take out a dad and his 12 year old son because his son wants to learn about raptors and falconry. I’m hoping to get them on some things like Painted Bunting and Mississippi Kite because it might spark a deeper interest.

So, part of the key to getting MORE youth involved is to get SOME youth involved. This award does that, and I’m proud that LOS offers it and takes it seriously because I think it may be part of that key. Consider the reach of other birding clubs throughout the state and the increase of birding on social media, as well. One of my worries about birding is the state is wondering what our CBCs are going to look like in 10 years. Gotta get some newbies in there.

John Dillon

Join us on Facebook!