Date: 5/15/19 11:46 am
From: ned bohman <nbohman...>
Subject: Probable Gray-cheeked Thrush at Millers
While I was birding Miller's the other day (Monday the 13th) I had the very
frustrating experience of seeing a review species and being unable to get
photos or recordings. I am pretty confident the bird was a Gray-cheeked
Thrush, I spent time in AK and feel pretty confident separating it from the
similar and expected Swainson's Thrush. I realize that this would be a
state record, and that makes it all the more frustrating. But I spent hours
on multiple days staking this bird out, to no avail. By the time I came
back to the bird with the camera, it was gone, never to be seen again. It
never vocalized and did not respond to playback. The bird was foraging
underneath one of the small pines and skulking in its lower branches,
directly across the grassy area from the parking. Normally I would not
post, especially with no evidence other than my word, but I wanted folks to
be able to be on the look out for this rarity as it makes its way through
our area. And yes I did submit a report to the records committee, but
obviously no photos, so if any one is able to find this bird, photos!
Photos! Photos!

As a side note, there was a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak also present,
which we were able to re-find the next day. (all pink, large, pale bill;
pale breast with streaking; white supercilium) I do not normally photograph
birds and did not bother with this one as it is a fairly regular occurrence
at this point.

Happy birding and good luck

-Ned Bohman

Join us on Facebook!