Date: 5/15/19 9:54 am
From: <rlshonkw...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET JxP, 14 May: Bell's Vireo
I birded Chicago's Jackson Park yesterday covering all areas. It was one of those days that there didn't seem to be many birds and yet, with a little patience, you kept finding new species. I had 86 total species with 13 first of the year (FOY), 1 park lifer and 17 warbler species.
I had my FOY E. KINGBIRD while riding my bike through the area on the way to the beach. I didn't find much of note at 63rd Street Beach. Two SAVANNAH SPARROWS are on territory and the CLIFF SWALLOWS are busy preparing their nests.
In the area of the north parking lot of the Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow area I found FOY male CAPE MAY and CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLERS. There was a pair of E. BLUEBIRDS here and several CEDAR WAXWINGS, which are actually FOY for me. There was a male AMERICAN WIGEON in the east lagoon (FOY JxP) that hung around most of the day. A MOURNING WARBLER (FOY) was singing on the other side of the Darrow Bridge, but I was never able to track it down. The area between Wooded Island and the southwest shore of the Columbia Basin (AKA north lagoon) got interesting. I found a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW and my FOY BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER. Then I found what I at first thought was a warbler in a small tree covered in white blossoms; it was very active and I had to follow it around the tree a couple of times. It was yellowish below and olive above and then I noticed it had a single, thin white wing-bar. It flew off to one of the ornamental cherry trees and I got a look at its head. It had a bit of gray on the head with a small amount of white in front of and above the eyes. I realized it was a vireo, but I couldn't think of a vireo with a single wing-bar and had to look in a field guide. It was a BELL'S VIREO a park lifer! It's been so long since I've gotten a look at a Bell's Vireo that I forgot what they looked like. The last few I've had were heard only birds and even the ones I've seen over the years have been singing, so I didn't have to work too hard to ID them. After losing sight of the bird I headed towards the island. Just northeast of the bridge to Wooded Island a YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT (FOY) popped up out of the grass. On Wooded Island I added FOY RED-EYED VIREO, MAGNOLIA WARBLER, INDIGO BUNTING and got a brief look at what was either a female or 1st spring male ORCHARD ORIOLE. I latter found an adult male ORCHARD ORIOLE singing near the driving range building and a 1st spring male in the woods by the meadow. Also in the woods was a very cooperative male SCARLET TANAGER, which I even got good photos of with my very uncooperative camera!
As I left the Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow area I had 17 warbler species (would have had 18 if the chat was still classified as a warbler) and I had hopes of making it to 20 but it was not to be. There were hardly any warblers in the rest of the park, except a few at the "berm" of the west golf course and nothing new. For the day I added GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH at the Inner Harbor. I have yet to see a Swainson's Thrush in the park (and only 1 elsewhere); where are they? There was a late male REDHEAD in the Outer Harbor. CLIFF SWALLOWS are building nests at the Outer Harbor boat house by the hospital where the roof meets the walls. This is a new location as far as I know. I suspect these are birds that nested on the ceiling of the south porch of the Museum of Science and Industry the last 2 years. The outer parts of the museum are being renovated; some nesting activity was seen here Saturday on the Audubon walk but I didn't see any sign of any birds here yesterday. At the golf course in the area of the berm (area around the intersection of Cornell and Marquette) there was a more cooperative CLAY-COLORED SPARROW and my FOY BLUE-HEADED VIREO. Also while there I happened to look up and noticed the local COOPER'S HAWK on a limb not far above me devouring something. It was so involved in its meal that it allowed me the closest photos I've ever had of this species! My full list is below.

Abbreviations: 63rd = 63rd Street Beach, NLF = North Lake Front/from 62nd to 57th, WI/BM = Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow, IH = Inner Harbor, OH = Outer Harbor, LM = Lake Michigan and immediate shore east of OH, GC =golf course.

Canada Goose: 63rd (2), WI/BM (14), IH (2), OH (2), GC (1)
Wood Duck: WI/BM (6)
A. Wigeon: WI/BM (1)
Mallard: 63rd (1), WI/BM (7), IH (6), GC (2)
Redhead: OH (1)
Rock Pigeon: IH (5)
Chimney Swift: WI/BM (5), IH (1), GC (2)
Spotted Sandpiper: 63rd (4), LM (1)
Ring-billed Gull: 63rd (60), NLF (12), WI/BM (7), IH (145; some sort of feeding frenzy was going on here), OH (26), LM (114)
Herring Gull: 63rd (3), IH (5)
Caspian Tern: 63rd (8), NLF (1), WI/BM (4), IH (3), OH (3)
Double-crested Cormorant: 63rd (10), WI/BM (1), IH (4), OH (1), LM (2), GC (2; one was swimming around in the water hazard!)
Great Blue Heron: WI/BM (2)
Green Heron: WI/BM (1)
Black-crowned Night-Heron: WI/BM (3)
Cooper's Hawk: GC (1)
Red-headed Woodpecker: WI/BM (3)
Red-bellied Woodpecker: WI/BM (2)
Downy Woodpecker: WI/BM (2)
Least Flycatcher: WI/BM (7), IH (1), GC (2)
E. Phoebe: WI/BM (2)
Great Crested Flycatcher: WI/BM (3)
E. Kingbird: WI/BM (2)
Bell's Vireo: WI/BM (1)
Blue-headed Vireo: GC (1)
Warbling Vireo: 63rd (1), WI/BM (8)
Red-eyed Vireo: WI/BM (1)
Blue Jay: WI/BM (5)
A. Crow: 63rd (1), WI/BM (1), IH (1), GC (3)
N. Rough-winged Swallow: 63rd (4), NLF (4), WI/BM (4), IH (1), OH (2)
Purple Martin: WI/BM (7)
Tree Swallow: WI/BM (8), IH (4)
Barn Swallow: 63rd (4), NLF (6), WI/BM (30), IH (4), OH (4)
Cliff Swallow: 63rd (42), WI/BM (14), OH (22)
Black-capped Chickadee: WI/BM (1), IH (1), GC (3)
Red-breasted Nuthatch: WI/BM (2)
House Wren: WI/BM (9), IH (1)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher: WI/BM (20), GC (2)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet: WI/BM (3)
E. Bluebird: WI/BM (2)
Veery: WI/BM (1)
Gray-cheeked Thrush: GC (1)
Hermit Thrush: WI/BM (1)
A. Robin: 63rd (1), NLF (1), WI/BM (26), IH (1), GC (7)
Gray Catbird: NLF (1), WI/BM (28), IH (2), GC (6)
Brown Thrasher: WI/BM (1)
Euro. Starling: 63rd (2), WI/BM (16), IH (1), OH (5)
Cedar Waxwing: WI/BM (8), IH (2)
House Finch: WI/BM (2)
A. Goldfinch: 63rd (5), WI/BM (12), IH (2), GC (2)
Chipping Sparrow: WI/BM (2)
Clay-colored Sparrow: WI/BM (1), GC (1)
White-crowned Sparrow: NLF (1), WI/BM (26), IH (1), GC (3)
White-throated Sparrow: WI/BM (4), GC (1)
Savannah Sparrow: 63rd (4), NLF (1), WI/BM (2), GC (2)
Song Sparrow: NLF (1), WI/BM (11), IH (3)
Lincoln's Sparrow: WI/BM (6)
E. Towhee: WI/BM (1)
Yellow-breasted Chat: WI/BM (1)
Orchard Oriole: WI/BM (3)
Baltimore Oriole: WI/BM (11), IH (3), GC (2)
Red-winged Blackbird: 63rd (4), NLF (1), WI/BM (25), IH (16)
Brown-headed Cowbird: WI/BM (10)
Common Grackle: WI/BM (5)
Ovenbird: WI/BM (2)
N. Waterthrush: WI/BM (1)
Tennessee Warbler: WI/BM (1)
Nashville Warbler: WI/BM (1)
Mourning Warbler: WI/BM (1)
Common Yellowthroat: NLF (1), WI/BM (19), GC (2)
A. Redstart: WI/BM (3), GC (1)
Cape May Warbler: WI/BM (1)
N. Parula: WI/BM (1)
Magnolia Warbler: WI/BM (2)
Blackburnian Warbler: WI/BM (1)
Yellow Warbler: 63rd (2), WI/BM (29), IH (4), GC (1)
Chestnut-sided Warbler: WI/BM (1)
Palm Warbler: 63rd (1), WI/BM (13)
Pine Warbler: WI/BM (1)
Yellow-rumped Warbler: WI/BM (4)
Black-throated Green Warbler: WI/BM (1), GC (1)
Scarlet Tanager: WI/BM (1)
N. Cardinal: WI/BM (10), IH (2), GC (6)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak: WI/BM (6), GC (1)
Indigo Bunting: WI/BM (2), GC (1)
House Sparrow: 63rd (5), NLF (4), WI/BM (8), OH (6)

Randy Shonkwiler
Woodlawn/Chicago

Join us on Facebook!