Date: 5/15/19 9:21 am
From: Garth Harwood <gharwood...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Another Chat - Alpine Pond 5-14-2019
Hi All, I stopped off for an after-work de-stress walk at Alpine Pond last
evening, arriving at about 6:30PM. Almost immediately I began to hear a
'singing' Yellow-breasted Chat from the willows at the SW corner of the
pond. Quotes around 'singing' is about the rough squawking, squeaking, and
catcalling that YBCH deploys as song. It may not be melodious, but it
certainly is distinctive!

This bird was much less cooperative than the Pescadero Marsh bird that I
paid a visit to last Friday. I never got eyes on it except as a shadowy
blur, although I did get to within 20 feet in distance. It was silent for
the last 30 minutes of my pond circuit so I couldn't tell if it had flown
away, or not. The pond was socked in with fog and rain this AM.

A Yellow Warbler singing there was my first for SMC this season, and there
was also a singing Western Tanager, which may well be nesting nearby.

--Garth Harwood, Pescadero

--
*Garth Harwood
*Director of Education,