Date: 5/15/19 7:46 am
From: Jennifer Alexander <jalexa352...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] LOS - ABA Young Birder Camp Sponsorship Info and Fundraising
Calling all birders!

One focus of the Louisiana Ornithological Society (LOS) board this year is to increase youth and young adult memberships. Toward this focus, LOS is proud to announce it is sponsoring a high school student, Jason Arena (bio below), for this year’s ABA Young Birder Camp (description below).

To aid in this endeavor, LOS is fundraising for the Ted Parker Student Support Fund (info below). At this year’s LOS Spring Meeting members generously donated $490 towards this sponsorship.

LOS would greatly appreciate any donation for not only this year’s sponsorship but to continue to increase the Ted Parker Student Support Fund for future sponsorships. Donations can be made via:

PayPal: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=iRxwbL1fmrGWKJTpToCqMW9pBNEIOa34PZkK7oPTO4yN02G73XbMwslmZp0GEp40TugL4W&country.x=US&locale.x=US <https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=iRxwbL1fmrGWKJTpToCqMW9pBNEIOa34PZkK7oPTO4yN02G73XbMwslmZp0GEp40TugL4W&country.x=US&locale.x=US>
Snail Mail:

Make checks payable to the "LOS" noting Ted Parker Student Fund and send to:
Judith O'Neale, LOS Treasurer
504 Whitebark, Lafayette, LA70508
337.981.1011

Jason Arena
My name is Jason Arena. I am sixteen years old and a rising junior attending Brother Martin High-School in New Orleans, LA where I am a member of the band who plays the sousaphone and the oboe, as well as a member the sailing team. This summer (July 26th - August 2nd) I will be heading to a birding camp sponsored by the American Birding Association in Lewes, Delaware to explore the rich bird diversity, to meet new friends, and to become a better and more well-rounded birder. However, this would have been impossible without the tremendous help that I was given from the LOS who offered me a fully paid scholarship to the camp which I am unbelievably grateful for. I have been birding for one and a half years, however have done a lot in those years such as taking bird classes, reading bird books, participating in birding events such as volunteer work or field trips with other birders, or even setting up bird feeders. My highlights in my birding career have been participating in a Christmas Bird Count or going to Bonnet Carre Spillway and seeing a painted bunting on a tree over a pond with alligators lurking. Every-day I go out to the levee and take long one to two hour walks looking for birds or other wildlife such as turtles, gators, and sometimes snakes. My favorite bird is the Peregrine Falcon because of its menacing appearance and its ability to reach speeds of two-hundred miles per hour on a stoop, while my favorite naturalist ever is John James Audubon because of his fascinating story in printing the double elephant folio. Along my journey, I have met outstanding people such as Joelle Finley, Glenn Oussett, and Judith O’ Neale who have guided me to not only becoming a more skilled birder, but a more complete person.

ABA Young Birder Camp
Camp Avocet, Delaware

July 26—August 2, 2019. Open to all birders aged 13 to 18.

Now in its seventh year, Camp Avocet is based at the University of Delaware’s stunning Virden Retreat Center in historic Lewes, Delaware, only minutes away from two major National Wildlife Refuges and a short ride to six, ecologically-based birding regions. Campers are housed and fed in the newly updated Virden Retreat Center dorms and dining hall with the Delaware Bay and the Atlantic Ocean only yards away, this is beach birding at its best!

https://www.aba.org/young-birder-camps/ <https://www.aba.org/young-birder-camps/>

Ted Parker
Renowned conservationist and field ornithologist Theodore "Ted" A. Parker III was already considered a legend in ornithology before his untimely death in 1993 at 40 years old. Referred to as "the Mozart of ornithology," Parker broke the record for birds seen in one year in the United States at just 18 years old. His "Parker Inventory" technique, which included extensively recording bird calls before and after dawn to capture the voices of birds hidden from sight, revolutionized bird survey work in the Neotropics. Parker’s connection to LSU began when George Lowery, former director of the LSU Museum of Natural Science, invited him on an expedition to Peru. The trip was organized by LSU ornithologist John P. O'Neill, who noted Ted's "frightening" amount of knowledge in ornithology. Parker became a staff research associate for the LSU Museum of Natural Science in 1984. Throughout his career, he published 47 papers on Neotropical birds in technical journals, in addition to five Rapid Assessment Program monographs, four audio-cassettes, and seven popular articles. He also wrote an annotated checklist of the birds of Peru, co-authored the ICBP Read Data book on threatened birds of the Americas, and was a key collaborator on a major work on the ecology and conservation of Neotropical Birds. Parker was a key factor in helping elevate the MNS to world-class quality. His contributions to LSU were recognized with a posthumous honorary PhD in 1993. Taken directly from: https://www.lsu.edu/science/news_events/cos-news-events/ScienceHoD2018.php

Personal insights about Ted Parker from Van Remsen and Robb Brumfield can be found at: http://lsuscienceblog.squarespace.com/blog/2018/4/26/big-day-for-a-birding-giant

Join us on Facebook!