Date: 5/15/19 7:27 am
From: Pete Givan <rocinrobin...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Old Legislative Rd Henslow's sparrows
On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 2:58:00 PM UTC-4, Michel Cavigelli, Greenbelt wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> After living here 20 years I might have a chance to find a lifer Henslow's sparrow May 21 along Old Legislative Road during a trip in that general direction. Do the birds sing only at dawn and dusk or will they be singing midday when I am likely to be passing near that area?
>

> Is there a particular part of the Road I should be looking? For example, is the pin on the map that eBird defines as Old Legislative Road the place to look or should I be covering a fairly long stretch of road?
>

> Thanks in advance!
>

> Michel Cavigelli, Greenbelt, PG Co

My experience is that you can see Henslow's at just about anytime. They seem to be curious about people walking up the trail. Go through the intersection of Klondike Rd on Old Legislative Rd. Look for a steep trail on your left about 200 yards in and park in the clearing on your right. As you walk up that trail listen for the metallic sound of the Henslow. They are there, you just have to be patient. Back at your car, walk a little into that area. I have gotten some good warblers back in there.