Date: 5/15/19 6:49 am
From: Brian Sullivan <heraldpetrel...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Odd weather event--heads up for vagrant shorebirds!
Hi Everyone,

We're about to experience a fairly odd weather pattern with 2-3 significant
fronts stacked up very late in the season. It could be nothing, but it
bears keeping our thoughts and eyes open for trans-oceanic shorebirds that
could be affected on their way north. Species such as Bar-tailed Godwit and
Bristle-thighed Curlew come to mind. I wasn't living in California in 1998,
but I did manage to see the Kehoe Beach Bristle-thighed Curlew. The timing
here is similar. There was a lot of discussion then around the fallout of
BTCU from California north through Washington due to odd weather. A
subsequent paper is here:

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~sbf1/papers/Mlodinow_Feldstein_Tweit_1999.pdf

In any case, it'll be an interesting week. Double-check those Whimbrel on
your local beaches!

Thanks

Brian

--
*Brian L. Sullivan*

*Digital Publications LeadCornell Lab of Ornithology*

Join us on Facebook!