Date: 5/15/19 4:48 am
From: 'MikeBowen' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: DC Area, 5/14/2019
On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 6:56:30 AM UTC-4, Don Simonson wrote:
> " and it is time: THE VOICE OF THE
> >
> > NATURALIST IS RETIRING at the end of May."
> Lydia,
> You will always be the naturalist's voice in my ear and my heart, even though THE VOICE OF THE NATURALIST must take a very well deserved rest, This is very bittersweet news. For the past 54 years, there has been nothing in my week that gave me a thrill like calling or reading THE VOICE OF THE NATURALIST. The excitement of the rarities, the joy of hearing one's own (rarely in my case) rarities reported on the Voice, and the calming restraint of knowing that my identification had to be completely solid to earn a place on the trustworthy Voice of the Naturalist or its predecessor, the Aubdubon Naturalist Society of the Middle Atlantic States hotline, a simultaneously futuristic/anachrocistic answering machine on Ann Morton's desk in the old Audubon Bookshop on Wisconisn Avenue in Georgetown..I will miss the Voice, but I am also happy for you that you get to retire again!
> Thank you, and thank you to the other compilers, for your outstanding contributions to birding and field ornithology in the Middle Atlantic.
> Good birding Lydia!
> Don Simonson, Darnestown MD

Let me heartily second Don's recognition of Lydia's many contributions to the mid-Atlantic birding "information system." I'd also like to recognize the two even earlier "Voice" pioneers within the Audubon Naturalist Society: the late Claudia Wilds and Erika Wilson. Both went on to be active in the American Birding Association -- Claudia as Secretary and Erika as a member of the Board of Directors. I can still remember Claudia's and Erika's voices on the weekly phone message as I frantically tried to write down the great sightings that they reported. Those were the days before transcripts were available online. A thousand thanks to you, too, Steve Cordle!

Mike Bowen
Bethesda