Date: 5/13/19 5:02 pm
From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Lincoln Co. eBird Alert: Yellow-headed Blackbird & Laughing Gull
Hi All,

There is now a photo for the reported Laughing Gull at
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56139820

The observer Norm Donelson's description: "Adult black-headed gfull
[gull] in alternate plumage. Dark red legs and bill, suggestion of
droop to bill, slightly blacker at bill tip. Seen in large mixed flock
of gulls in Beach about one mile north of Nye Beach access at 10:15
a.m., then seen again at 11:45 when flock flew far to the north - seen
past Yaquina Head lighthouse and disappeared beyond that. Wings showed
no white at all except on trailing edge. Seen both at rest and in
flight. Alternate plumage Franklin’s shows white both at wingtips and
inside the black area; this bird’s wings went evenly from gray to
black. Attaching the best photo we got, taken with phone through
binoculars."

Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon.

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 7:42 AM Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...> wrote:
> A small percentage of Franklin Gulls lack the white medial band on the wings, sometimes completely. They can appear otherwise to be completed adult.
>
> I looked for the reported Laughing Gull yesterday, but saw no candidates.
>
> Jeff Gilligan
>
> On May 12, 2019, at 11:52 AM, <philliplc...> wrote:
> I had a Franklin's fly past the D River this AM that
> although otherwise adult-like did not appear to have
> obvious white-apical spots, and had only a trace of
> a white medial band between the black and gray in
> the wingtips. Possibly a subadult that had obtained
> a full dark hood before a fully mature primary
> pattern. Not saying it's the same bird, but worth
> mentioning that Franklin's can be confusing in
> this regard. I was momentarily confused by it.
>
> Phil

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!