Date: 5/13/19 4:40 pm
From: Ryan Shackleton <shack357...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Sandhills nesting at Cardinal Marsh
Went looking for sandhills again today, only found two at Cardinal Marsh instead of the 15+ I usually see there, but the two I did find have a nest. Also saw numerous bobolinks(another first of year for me) and a pileated woodpecker gave me a great flyby. Ducks were very sparse this time(a few teals and mallards), one pair of trumpeters(also nesting) and the usual many Canada geese. Photo attached of the crane nest, heavy crop.
Also found what appears to be a badger den across the pond from the cranes. Happily they were either absent or sleeping. I'd rather not stumble into a badger.

Ryan Shackleton
Alta Vista, IA
Chickasaw County