Date: 5/12/19 6:09 pm
From: Stuart Sparkman <jacamar29...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Canada and more
Hey I-Birders,

Karen, Harney, and I got our miles in today as we birded Cottonwood Rec
Area below Saylorville Dam this morning and in the late afternoon along the
Des Moines River near our home. We've been finding NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH to
be almost abundant this weekend, and saw several today. At Cottonwood it
was chilly and drippy, but a BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER showed nicely,
and several WILSON'S and PALM WARBLERS put in an appearance, and a
GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER was heard. A PROTHONOTARY WARBLER was at the flooded
slough along the Neal Smith Trail (and we had close encounters with at
least three yesterday at Bob Shetler RA below the dam, as reported by other
birders). Along the river this afternoon we had a WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW,
more WILSON'S WARBLERS, as well as several BLACK AND WHITE and a MAGNOLIA
WARBLER, but the star of the walk was a cooperative CANADA WARBLER that we
observed for nearly 10 minutes at a rather close distance. It was a
glorious encounter. So, a twenty-two warbler tally is pretty good for a
cold, wet, and sometimes windy weekend. Now where are the Blackburnian and
Chestnut-sideds that have eluded us thus far? Let's hope for more birds
and better weather this week.

Good Birding,

Stuart Sparkman
NW Des Moines