Date: 5/12/19 5:06 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Malheur update
The Ground Squirrel Gazette

May 12, 2019

Today’s highlight was a rather uncooperative Blue-gray Gnatcatcher hanging out in the se corner and on the sage hill. This bird was probably heard by me a couple of days ago and by Rick Vetter yesterday. Today it was heard and seen by Dwight Porter and Rebecca Hartman.

Big numbers of tanagers and Warbling Vireos continue; Wilson’s Warblers are increasing. No significant movement of flycatchers yet.

The young GHOs are more or less out of the nest and branch-crawling in the area sw of the deck, more or less over the propane tank. Be careful walking around in the stand of scruffo pine and juniper south of the main paved access path from the parking area so as not to disturb the adults or young.

Unsettled weather is coming mid-week and will last into the weekend. Cool, damp and no freezing is the basic idea.

MI: 2 at HQ, higher at the south end of the valley. In short, the skeeter season seems to be ramping up about a week earlier than I expected. The Pleasure Never Ends.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

TEMPORARY ADDRESS: