Date: 5/12/19 4:07 pm
From: Jason Rieger via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Orioles & Grosbeaks
Falling in line with recent reports, Iıve observed an unprecedented spring
in the yard for Orioles and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks with regard to activity
and abundance.

Today there were at least 7 Baltimore Orioles racing around the orange &
jelly feeders as well as devouring the suet cakes throughout the day.
Females were also taking material from a nest from last season so Iım
hopeful at least some will attempt to breed nearby. I was surprised to find
a male Orchard Oriole in the fray at the oranges as well, repeatedly being
chased off by its larger cousins.

Had 3 male Grosbeaks and 1 female together (yesterday there were 3 females
and 2 males). They too have been hitting the suet hard and one female has
been sampling the oranges.

Itıs been fun to watch over the past 10 days or so, - the yard has seemed
like a zoo aviary! I hope it may indicate those species will have a
flourishing year.

Jason Rieger
Wallingford