Date: 5/12/19 2:18 pm
From: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Nitpicking--Counting rules at borders in an "official" count
When a location is on a border, e.g. Washington Monument SPs monument
observation tower, I think it would be more appropriate to report all
birds from a single county for an eBird checklist. That would best be
taken out of the hands of the individual making the report. It would
then be understood that birds may have been in one or the other county
when seen. The danger of not taking this approach, as someone
mentioned, is for a single bird to be double counted by some
observers.

However, that thinking doesn't seem to have been considered as there
are Hotspots for the park for both counties.

The Hawkcount site doesn't concern itself with geographic borders:
http://hawkcount.org/day_summary.php?rsite=279&go=Go+to+site

For my 5/11/19 WMSP checklist there wasn't an issue due (1) to the
weather and (2) the fact that the monument is closed until July [ /- ]
for renovations.

Jim Speicher
BroadRun/Burkittsville area
[FR] Frederick County MD
M.O.S. member, Washington [WA] Co Chapter