Date: 5/12/19 2:17 pm
From: Charles Gates <cgates326...>
Subject: [obol] Jefferson County Goodies
I did a little birding in Jefferson County today and found some
goodies.  Most prominent were the Trumpeter Swan on Haystack Reservoir,
the Surf Scoter at Pelton Overlook and Blue-gray Gnatcatcher on Gray
Butte.  The swan was neck banded (looked like theta 73) and was a new
county bird for me, bringing my Jefferson County list to 252.  I looked
up past records for spring Trumpeters in Jefferson County and did not
find any.  The gnatcatcher was near Gray Butte which is a historic
nesting site for that species.  With the gnatcatcher, I also found House
Wren and Lazuli Bunting displaying nest building and singing behavior.
No owls were found in the thickets so it doesn't look like they will
nest again this year.  I checked Brewer Reservoir and LIttle Willow
Creek Reservoir.  Water levels are high at both but few waterfowl are
present.  Water levels at Haystack are perfect with mud flats galore but
no shorebirds.  Finally, I went to Pelton Overlook and was surprised to
find the Surf Scoter still present. As far as I can tell, this is only
the second time Surf Scoter has been found in Central Oregon in the
month of May.  The previous record was from 2000.

Mark Twain

Chuck Gates
Prineville Bird Club
541-280-4957
Powell Butte,
Central Oregon Oregon Birding Site Guide
http://www.ecaudubon.org/birding-locations
Oregon County Checklists
http://www.ecaudubon.org/county-checklists

https://www.avg.com