Date: 5/12/19 1:09 pm
From: Derek C. Richardson <dcr...>
Subject: [MDBirding] PG May Count (5/11/19): Laurel

I surveyed the Laurel area in PG County for this year's May count,
tallying over 80 species in about 12 hours (with help at various times!).
The day started out really well, with a surprising number of warbler
species (14) at Supplee Park near Rocky Gorge reservoir, including
fantastic looks at a singing adult male Blackburnian and Tennessee. Then
the clouds came in and the wind picked up, so things got slower, but there
were still plenty of great birds around. Other highlights included some
Barred Owls hooting in the late afternoon at Laurel Riverfront Park, an
American Kestrel near the I-95 on Konterra Dr, a Common Raven and Cliff
Swallows around the T. Howard Duckett dam, and a billion Cedar Waxwings
(ok, just 98). My final tally is summarized below.

Report Details (Laurel area, PG County)
Date: May 11, 2019

Number of Species 88
Number of Individuals 1,130
Number of Checklists 15

Canada Goose 38
Wood Duck 2
Mallard 46
Mourning Dove 21
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Chimney Swift 28
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Double-crested Cormorant 2
Great Blue Heron 3
Green Heron 2
Black-crowned Night-Heron 1
Black Vulture 3
Turkey Vulture 29
Osprey 3
Bald Eagle 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 3
Red-tailed Hawk 5
Buteo sp. 1
Barred Owl 2
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 12
Downy Woodpecker 9
Pileated Woodpecker 4
Northern Flicker 2
American Kestrel 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 3
Acadian Flycatcher 3
Eastern Phoebe 4
Great Crested Flycatcher 13
Eastern Kingbird 12
Red-eyed Vireo 25
Blue Jay 23
American Crow 17
Fish Crow 6
crow sp. 6
Common Raven 1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 3
Tree Swallow 5
Barn Swallow 13
Cliff Swallow 12
swallow sp. 2
Carolina Chickadee 13
Tufted Titmouse 15
White-breasted Nuthatch 3
House Wren 8
Carolina Wren 42
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 26
Eastern Bluebird 6
Swainson's Thrush 1
Wood Thrush 3
American Robin 49
Gray Catbird 20
Brown Thrasher 2
Northern Mockingbird 19
European Starling 62
Cedar Waxwing 98
House Finch 13
American Goldfinch 37
Chipping Sparrow 8
Field Sparrow 4
Song Sparrow 8
Swamp Sparrow 2
Eastern Towhee 11
Baltimore Oriole 3
Red-winged Blackbird 28
Brown-headed Cowbird 11
Common Grackle 34
Ovenbird 1
Louisiana Waterthrush 1
Black-and-white Warbler 3
Tennessee Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 9
American Redstart 3
Cape May Warbler 2
Northern Parula 4
Magnolia Warbler 4
Blackburnian Warbler 1
Yellow Warbler 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Black-throated Blue Warbler 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 10
Black-throated Green Warbler 2
Canada Warbler 1
Scarlet Tanager 5
Northern Cardinal 71
Blue Grosbeak 4
Indigo Bunting 10
House Sparrow 97

Derek C. Richardson, Laurel, PG County, MD
http://www.astro.umd.edu/~dcr/personal.html