Date: 5/11/19 11:23 pm
From: Andrew Block via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] East Rock Park and Old Saybrook marsh birds
5/11/19 white/black trail loop around Mill River, East Rock Park, West Haven, CT
1 Wood Duck5 Mourning Dovesseveral Chimney Swifts1 Spotted Sandpiper1 Great Egret2 Turkey Vultures1 Osprey1 Red-tailed Hawk4 Red-bellied Woodpeckers (incl. 2 on nest)1 Northern Flicker2 Eastern Phoebes1 Great Crested Flycatcher1 Warbling Vireoseveral Blue Jays5+ Northern Rough-winged Swallowsseveral Barn Swallows2 Tree Swallows1 Carolina Wren1 House Wren2 Veerys1 Gray-cheeked Thrush2 Swainson's Thrushes1 Hermit Thrush1 Wood Thrushseveral American Robinsmany Gray Catbirds3 American Goldfinches5+ Ovenbirds1 Northern Waterthrush4+ Black-and-white Warblers70-100 Common Yellowthroats (probably more! they were everywhere!)7+ American Redstarts3 Northern Parulas4 Magnolia Warblers5 Yellow Warblers6+ Black-throated Blue Warblers2 Wilson's Warblers (including one that joined me for my picnic for a few minutes)3 Song Sparrows6+ White-throated Sparrows2 Northern Cardinals (with nest)3+ Rose-breasted Grosbeaks7+ Red-winged Blackbirdsseveral Common Grackles3 Baltimore Orioles
Also had great looks at a Big Brown Bat.
- all calling in marsh at end of Coulter Lane (leaf pile/founders park), Old Saybrook, CT
3 Mallards3 Clapper Rails1 YELLOW RAIL (calling from 10pm to at least 11:20pm when I left)1 Virginia Rail1 Green Heron4 Marsh Wrens
Also heard calling Eastern American Toads, Pickerel Frogs, Spring Peepers, and Gray Treefrogs.
Andrew
Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Naturalist
20 Hancock Avenue, Apt. 3
Yonkers, Westchester Co., New York 10705-4629
www.flickr.com/photos/conuropsis/albums