Date: 5/11/19 5:05 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Malheur update
The Ground Squirrel Gazette

May 11, 2019

Today featured a big infusion of Western Tanagers and Warbling Vireos. Numbers of other birds seemed about the same as in recent days. The dripper, moved to a spot along the wall north of the deck, gets very heavy use in morning and afternoon when it is shaded. The first female Black-chins have joined the party.

In butt news, the Painted Ladies are still coming through in reduced numbers, more whites are here, a Red Admiral put in an appearance today (I usually see Lorquin’s here) and the Mourning Cloaks are essentially gone.

Mosquito Index: 1-2, local. Places like Page Springs and Benson Pond have a few skeeters now and I picked up a bite at the deck at HQ.

Birders coming next weekend should expect unsettled weather and possible thunderstorms. Thius generally results in chunky migration: slow days and sudden movements.

I will be working at HQ the next two days, then Thur 16-Mon 20 and then back to my usual Fri-Mon shift through Sunday, June 10, my last day here. On Tuesday 14 I will be away from the refuge most of the day. On Thursday 23 I will be on the refuge all day but away from HQ most of the time.

Except for visits already arranged, I will not be able to set aside any time to bird with friends until early June.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

TEMPORARY ADDRESS: