Date: 5/11/19 2:48 pm
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Spring birding...
Hi birders,

This morning I chased the previously reported HORNED LARKs near the
intersection of San Andreas Road and West Beech Road just west of
Watsonville. I was thrilled to find the HORNED LARKS and got a few fun
photos including:

Singing adult male:
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/lark_horned_190511b.jpg
Female carrying food:
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/lark_horned_190511e.jpg

I guess HORNED LARKS must be breeding in county.

Big thanks to Randy Wardle. This species has been a bit of nemesis
county bird lately. I saw them in county over a decade ago, but did not
record the time and date, so no ebird record. Randy's location reference
to the telephone pole with "Peace" written on it, got me checking the
right field for the larks. I'd been looking repeatedly, but about 1/3
mile further up the road near the bridge.

Ebird report with a few more images:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56126050

Over at Pinto Lake City Park, I saw a family of COMMON GALLINULEs
including 2 adults and 5 chicks. Ebird report with a few images:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56129358

Fun birding,

Pete Sole
Soquel, CA