Date: 5/11/19 11:04 am
From: <jmjhrtgh...> <jmjhrtgh...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Black-throated Blue Warbler
Spent 3 hrs. this cold, windy, overcast morning at the New Haven Potholes north of Hwy 9 east of Osage in the Mitchell Co.Conservation’s Park.

Hardly a warbler-type day, but I wanted to see the Bluebells. You can stand in one spot along the south trail to the Little Cedar River and turn 360 degrees and see bluebells solid for as far as you can see. The pink ones are outstanding and I did find one pure white one.

Took the north trail toward the large pothole and just beyond the observation deck I ran into the BTBW. Great looks. Every time he flew, he flashed his rectangular white “hanky” sticking out of his blue-black pocket on his wings. On the way back he was cavorting around the observation deck and must have gotten 6 or 7 more good looks.

Now if you’ve talked birding with me, one of my favorite expressions is - “ Only once in 50 years” ! Well this was the second time. About 25 years ago I got it in the fall migration at Lake Hendricks, Howard Co. Does that mean I must get a new expression?

There were numerous Yellow-rumped Warblers and Palm Warblers. Dozens of White-throated Sparrows and Ruby-crowned Kinglets. Kind of unusual to have them still here when the other warblers are coming through. Anyway I got 13 species, including Northern Parula, Cape May, and Blackpoll. Surprisingly no Tennessee or Nashville.

Good birding,

Mary Jo Hartogh
Mitchell County