Date: 5/10/19 9:07 pm
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Odd Hummer
Most of these photos show a good clear image of folded wingtips and end of
tail. In all cases the wing tips stop well short of the tail end, which is
rounded. Calliopes have a notched tail, which accentuates the primary
extension.

On Fri, May 10, 2019, 8:30 PM Timothy Steeves <timothydsteeves...>
wrote:

> Sure looks a lot more like a female caliope to me than rufous. Lots of
> central spots on the throat indicate caliope female. However I will let
> the experts decide.
>
> Timothy Steeves
> Portland
> Happy spring birding everyone!
> Hi All,
>
> I spent a few hours over in the Newport area today with my wife. While
> walking the paved trail from the S Jetty to South Beach, I photographed
> this hummer. I think it is a female rufous, but it is a little puzzling.
> Has a red bill base, which I suppose may be a result of its position
> related to the sun? But as long as I have seen hummers over the years, I
> have not encountered such except for those species which are known to have
> red on their bills. I originally thought maybe a calliope at first
> because of the light speckling on the throat, and especially since I need
> one for Lincoln County. It appeared short tailed from my original angle. But
> the photos I obtained are inconclusive it seems for tail length, as well as
> showing more rufous on the sides than what a calliope has. What do you
> think?
>
> https://variousoregonbirdingpiks.blogspot.com/2019/05/mystery-hummer.html
>
> --
> Bill Tice
>
> :
> Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and, for avoiding chores

Join us on Facebook!