Date: 5/10/19 6:44 pm
From: Bill Tice <ticebill7...>
Subject: [obol] Odd Hummer
Hi All,

I spent a few hours over in the Newport area today with my wife. While
walking the paved trail from the S Jetty to South Beach, I photographed
this hummer. I think it is a female rufous, but it is a little puzzling. Has
a red bill base, which I suppose may be a result of its position related to
the sun? But as long as I have seen hummers over the years, I have not
encountered such except for those species which are known to have red on
their bills. I originally thought maybe a calliope at first because of
the light speckling on the throat, and especially since I need one for
Lincoln County. It appeared short tailed from my original angle. But the
photos I obtained are inconclusive it seems for tail length, as well as
showing more rufous on the sides than what a calliope has. What do you
think?

https://variousoregonbirdingpiks.blogspot.com/2019/05/mystery-hummer.html

--
Bill Tice

:
Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and, for avoiding chores

Join us on Facebook!