Date: 5/10/19 5:48 pm
From: newtja84 <newtja84...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Humboldt County Big Day
Paul Skrade and I conducted a Big Day today in Humboldt County. We ended
up with 101 species during our survey period (I would later find four more
after we had split our separate ways). Most interesting things included
what we think were two Peregrine Falcons (one near Florida Ave, and one at
Ottosen Potholes [the one at the potholes had caught a prey item]).
Migrants in north central Iowa are still running their first phase waves.
The warblers we had were largely Yellow-rumped, Palms, Nashville,
Orange-crowned; though we did end up pulling both waterthrush species from
Gotch Park (as well as some later migrants like American Redstart, Wilson's
and Black-and-white Warblers). We got a Yellow Warbler at Willow Access,
and a profusion of thrushes (Gray-cheeked, Swainson's and Hermit).
Shorebirds were lackluster, with a Long-billed Dowitcher being the best of
the group. We were also able to snag a Northern Harrier late in the day as
well. We had more waterfowl than the last couple of week's would've
suggested including some Ruddy Ducks at the potholes, along with a group of
Lesser Scaup and some Gadwalls. Rails were active at the potholes, and we
did see an American Bittern, and a Great Egret there. We had a good swath
of sparrows, Clay-colored, Vesper, Lark, White-crowned, White-throated,
Harris', Lincoln, Swamp, Savannah, Grasshopper, Song, Chipping, Field were
all seen. Similarly Icterids were on display, as we got both meadowlarks,
both orioles and all the blackbirds save Great-tailed Grackle (which would
be surprising), Rusty and Brewer's. We got both nuthatches at Gotch as
well. We did get an Eastern Screech Owl, and very vocal Barred Owls but
missed Great Horned (that was a scheduling issue on my part....they are
very much present in the county).

We had some noticeable misses, American Kestrel, Eastern Kingbird,
Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Northern Shoveler were gotten by me alone (but
they don't count in the Big Day figuring). We also dipped on Great Blue
Heron which seems a ridiculous miss considering we found what would be
considered 'more difficult' heron species. We didn't find any pelicans,
and we didn't find any Indigo Buntings...We also didn't find any
Dickcissels or Eastern Towhees...

Jacob Newton
Humboldt County