Date: 5/10/19 12:58 pm
From: Sarah Rhodig <rhodigsarah...>
Subject: [obol] Seeking Volunteers for Bird Surveys
Hello OBOL!

My name is Sarah Rhodig, and I’m a graduate student in the Environmental
Science and Management department at Portland State University. Partnered
with the Lower Nehalem Watershed Council, I am conducting habitat
assessments around tide gated areas in the Nehalem Bay, OR, in order to
assess habitat suitability for salmonids and other wildlife. Part of these
assessments include several bird surveys throughout the year, for which I
am in need of some birder volunteers!

The first survey window (breeding season!) is coming up quickly (June 1st),
and I need volunteers with identification experience to conduct point-count
and call broadcast surveys. Surveys will be conducted at the coast on
Saturday mornings, and will extend from June 1st – July 15th. There will be
several more opportunities throughout the year to participate, and those
survey windows will likely only extend for two weeks (approximately 2 or 3
consecutive Saturday mornings). Volunteers can sign up for as many or as
few Saturdays as they like, I only ask that you please honor the
commitment. Transportation will be carpool if needed, and volunteers will
need to download a small GPS app for the survey route and data uploading.

If you have bird identification experience and would like to participate,
or would like more information, please contact me at <rhodigsarah...>
I’ll be creating an editable sign-up sheet for participants to select what
days they would like to survey, and to arrange carpool transportation for
folks coming from areas outside of the coast, should it be necessary. Thank
you – I look forward to it!

All the best,

Sarah Rhodig

Join us on Facebook!