Date: 5/10/19 8:00 am
From: Rob Ballinger via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Bluebird nesting behavior
Our resident bluebirds built nests in 2 boxes, 1 in the front yard and 1 in
the back. 3 eggs were laid in the backyard house with 1 being dropped
outside the box. I don't know what did this. Both nest boxes have predator
baffles. Later that nest had 0 eggs. In the front yard nest box there are
4 eggs. The female seems to be off that nest much of the time, although
when I checked it (while she was feeding in the backyard) the eggs seemed
warm (although it was a very brief check). Both birds often check the
backyard box with the empty nest and another box that has no nest. Is
building multiple nests a common behavior in bluebirds and how much time
does the female typically spend off the nest?

Thanks,

Rob Ballinger,
Clinton