Date: 5/10/19 5:24 am
From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] Re: South Coast East Wind Extravaganza 5/9/19
We had two LAPLAND LONGSPURS fly north past us on the beach at  New
River yesterday 5/9.    RED-NECKED PHALAROPES were everywhere, with
large flocks floating in pools just offshore and groups headed north.
Andrew Partin our work partner had a GOLDEN PLOVER,  presumably PACIFIC
along New River yesterday also.  I heard my first singing OLIVE-SIDED
FLYCATCHER at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort.   Tons of bugs and butterflies
everywhere.    Quite a day.....this morning appears foggy and very calm.....

cheers
Dave Lauten and Kathy Castelein
Bandon OR

On 5/9/2019 5:36 PM, Tim Rodenkirk wrote:
> No rare bird reports but what a day! I was working down at Floras
> Lake, Curry and we arrived at 0800 to (yes Ed) do some rare plant
> monitoring. It was 60F with a very chilly wind out of NW. Most
> everyone had heavy coats on except for some of the youth crew who
> probably wear shorts in winter. Anyhow at almost exactly 11AM the wind
> suddenly shifted to ENE and boom, it was 80F. Coats were quickly shed!!
>
> Along with the east winds came a plethora of what I think were painted
> (versus American) ladies and thousands of flying ants. This last until
> 3PM when the offshore winds suddenly busted through and it was back to
> 60F in a snap of a finger. As I walked back to parking area, a 1/4
> mile away and inland- we were working close to beach, I actually
> walked back into the 88F heat!!
>
> It got up to 91F on drive back to Coos Bay but the office at North
> Bend was about 80F. Old record for Coos Bay for this date is 73F so we
> safely busted it- my wife said it was up to 89 at our house in Coos Bay.
>
> Early on at Floras Lake heard Yellow Warblers singing. Had WW Pee-wee
> singing there two days ago. Also had a bird fly in from ocean that I
> wish I had bins for. Did hear one LAPLAND LONGSPUR call during big
> heat (which also included 20+ mph winds giving us the blast furnace
> effect).
>
> Super amazing day- temps usually back to normal (60s) after these east
> wind events- on the coast that is.
>
> Maybe there will be some displaced goodies in early AM manana?
>
> Merry migration!
> Tim R
> Coos Bay

POST: Send your post to <obol...>