Date: 5/10/19 2:44 am
From: 'Bill Hubick' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] The IBA Birdathon starts today!
Hi Everyone,
I'm super excited to once again participate in Audubon Maryland-DC's annual IBA Birdathon. The 10th annual Birdathon will again be a 24-hour event that starts at noon today (Friday, 5/10) and ends at noon tomorrow (Saturday, 5/11). We'll be posting updates from the field at the Maryland Biodiversity Project Facebook page using the hashtag #ibabirdathon and Audubon MD-DC will be sharing those posts and other updates as well.
Please read on, share, and consider a donation to support Maryland's most important bird areas!  Thank you to Dave Curson and his extended team (Audubon and partners) for the important work. If you care about Maryland birds and their habitats, this is a key program to support. Thanks to everyone who has already donated!
We'll also try to post rare birds here by responding to this message, hopefully with a fully spelled-out species added to the subject line. Last year we found a RUFF, so we're good either way there. :)  We also found TWO White-faced Ibis!
Here's the announcement from Audubon MD-DC:

This year's IBA Birdathon Team includes Matt Hafner, John Hubbell, Bill Hubick, Mikey Lutmerding, and Dan Small. On May 10th & 11th, our team will travel across Maryland as they try to identify as many bird species as possible during a 24-hour period. In 2018, we spotted 212 species. Can we possibly beat that total in 2019?

Best of all, this is all for a great cause. Your donation to Audubon Maryland-DC's Birdathon will support habitat protection and stewardship at IBAs in Maryland. Our state's 43 IBAs are habitats of critical importance for birds and the Important Bird Areas program continues to work hard for bird conservation at these sites across Maryland.

During the past year, our successes include:

- Collaborating with local conservation partners to ensure that Eastern Neck National Wildlife Refuge remains fully staffed and open to the public for birding, biking, and hunting;
- Growing our annual “I Bird, I Vote” Bird Conservation Summit for a fourth year to a sell-out crowd, where we mobilize and inform conservation activists on state and federal issues that impact Maryland forests, federal wildlife conservation policy, and emerging threats to coastal ecosystems;
- Working with the Baltimore Ravens to achieve a bird-friendly design for their stadium upgrades in downtown Baltimore. The original design, including vertical pillars of light, would have killed hundreds of migrating birds. The light pillars are no longer included in the project; and
- Restoring more than 100 acres of salt marsh at Farm Creek Marsh in Dorchester County by constructing a new tidal creek to drain floodwaters from the site and allow beneficial marsh plants to become more plentiful and vigorous to sustain local bird populations. This will make Farm Creek more resilient to climate-driven sea level rise.
Please show your support for our Birdathon by making a donation here:

https://act.audubon.org/onlineactions/KmLniKdVaU6DO6ODrcjzww2?utm_source=ea&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=appeal&emci=b4f4f583-2d61-e911-b49e-281878391efb&emdi=7ee1de5b-fa64-e911-b49e-281878391efb&ceid=2588393&smartlinkdata=JmZuPVRob21hcyZsbj1Nb29ybWFuJmVtPWJhbHRpbW9yZSU0MGF1ZHVib24ub3Jn

You can also pledge a specific amount for every bird species we see or hear (e.g., $1 or $2 per bird). If you would like to make a pledge, please email <psmith...>

Although we are part of the National Audubon Society, we are responsible for raising all of our funds locally. So you can be sure that 100% of your donation will be used to support Important Bird Areas and their birds here in Maryland. Please give today!

Bill HubickPasadena, <Marylandbill_hubick...>://www.billhubick.com
http://www.marylandbiodiversity.com
http://www.facebook.com/MarylandBiodiversity