Date: 5/9/19 10:48 pm
From: Lew & Marti Ligocki <ligockibirds...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Fwd: A little more historical perspective
And yet, if I’m recalling the right guy, he always included in his posts the handicapped accessibility of the location.

The mix of values, beliefs and perspectives within individuals as well as within the group is what makes OBOL strong as well as interesting. Sometimes in the expression of values and beliefs, posters lose perspective, but that’s in the moment. I believe we all recognize that in many important ways we are all more alike than different.

Thanks to all of you for participation, including those like myself who mostly read only.

Marti Ligocki
South Salem

From: <clearwater...>

Subject: [obol] A little more historical perspective

Date: May 9, 2019 at 5:58:10 PM PDT

To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol...>

This little trip down memory lane brings up a few more thoughts, not so pleasant.

About 15 or 20 years ago (I forget when but it was not long before I joined the OFO board), I walked out to our rural mailbox and found an anonymous postcard (on an Audubon-issued card with a Bald Eagle), telling me to stop posting reports of non-rare birds on OBOL.

Around the same time, Marilyn Miller received a similar postcard, threatening to shoot her pet geese Affie and Fuzzy-Goose if she ever mentioned them on OBOL again.

At least one other birder out in Florence received one of these too, telling her, "Shut up. You talk too much."

I'm pretty sure I know who sent those cards, based on the sentence structure of the note I received. He wasn't a frequent poster and he hasn't posted on OBOL for a long, long time. He might even be dead by now, for all I know.

Anyway when people worry about the tone of current discussions, this comes to mind. I don't worry that much about the people who engage in the discussion and sling barbs back and forth. But anyone who thinks this is a "safe space" and that things were better in the past should take a reality check.

--

Joel Geier

Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

(do you ever wonder why I usually just post my general location rather than full address?)

Join us on Facebook!