Date: 5/9/19 10:19 pm
From: Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: A little more historical perspective
That is hilarious! OBOL during the wild, wild west days! Thanks for those flashbacks, Joel.

I arrived in Portland in 2007. If you think things are contentious now think Cliff Weber. As I recall he said that anyone who showed up at his door would be met with an armed response. He had posted an opinion that was met with a strong dissent that prompted his threat.

Shawneen Finnegan
Beaverton

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: <clearwater...>
> Subject: [obol] A little more historical perspective
> Date: May 9, 2019 at 5:58:10 PM PDT
> To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol...>
>
> This little trip down memory lane brings up a few more thoughts, not so pleasant.
>
> About 15 or 20 years ago (I forget when but it was not long before I joined the OFO board), I walked out to our rural mailbox and found an anonymous postcard (on an Audubon-issued card with a Bald Eagle), telling me to stop posting reports of non-rare birds on OBOL.
>
> Around the same time, Marilyn Miller received a similar postcard, threatening to shoot her pet geese Affie and Fuzzy-Goose if she ever mentioned them on OBOL again.
>
> At least one other birder out in Florence received one of these too, telling her, "Shut up. You talk too much."
>
> I'm pretty sure I know who sent those cards, based on the sentence structure of the note I received. He wasn't a frequent poster and he hasn't posted on OBOL for a long, long time. He might even be dead by now, for all I know.
>
> Anyway when people worry about the tone of current discussions, this comes to mind. I don't worry that much about the people who engage in the discussion and sling barbs back and forth. But anyone who thinks this is a "safe space" and that things were better in the past should take a reality check.
>
> --
> Joel Geier
> Camp Adair area north of Corvallis
> (do you ever wonder why I usually just post my general location rather than full address?)

Join us on Facebook!